Radicle Soil Health Laboratory and Consulting Service is part of the Radicle Group.
We promote sustainable and resilient agricultural practices with particular emphasis on conservation agriculture.
We aid the regeneration of over worked and degenerated soils.
We provide analytical services that:
- measure the health status of soils;
- provide the accesible quantity of plant available nutrients which is not the same as that analyzed from a soil extracted with strong acid or alkaline bases.
Solvita 24 hour CO2 Burst test:
- An overall indication of the soil life.
- An indication of the fertility.
- An indication of the PMN (Potentially Mineralizable Nitrogen) which is the nitrogen bound in the organic form and available for microbial release as nitrogen plant available nutrition.
- A calculated quantum of the total microbial biomass in the soil on a Kg / ha basis.
The complete soil health tool (Haney Analysis)
- An index of the health state of your soil.
- The organic matter content of the soil.
- The actual plant root available Nitrogen content in Kg’s per ha spilt into the inorganic and organic content.
- The actual plant root available Phosphorous content in Kg’s per ha
- It will quantify in Rands and cents the value of the organic based nutrients never previously taken into consideration with which your fertilizer quantity for the next crop can be reduced.
- The actual plant root available Potassium in Kg’s per ha.
- An indication of the microbial biomass in your soil in Kg’s per ha.
- Your correct C \ N ratio (water soluble) that is available to the microbes.
- The analyses will also assist in determining the liming requirements of the soil.
- Will provide a cover crop suggestion to improve the health status.
Mycorrhizae Spore Count
- The amount of viable Mycorrhizae spores that is so important in particularly phosphate nutrition, but not limited to phosphates.
- You don’t want less than 20 spores per gram of top soil.
Solvita Labile Amino- Nitrogen Analyses (SLAN Test)
- Use this innovative lab test to measure the pool of organic nitrogen, called alkali-labile soil amino-N, that’s available in your soil.
- Solvita measures two compounds, carbon dioxide (CO2) and ammonia (NH3), which are often connected to volatile compost emissions and can be a predictor of instability. Toward the end of composting, low levels of CO2 and ammonia are expected. High release of either or both gases indicates an unstable and possibly odorous condition associate with very actively degrading compost. The Solvita test measures both gases and makes it easy to interpret results with the Compost Maturity Index that is used to determine where on the scale your compost falls.
Soil Health and Conservation Agricultural Workshops
Module 1. Introductory overview of soil health. Soil structure, the components, functions, characteristics, processes in healthy soil as well as Soil life. How these components form a relationship in a healthy soil. How the soil as a living entity can gradually be degraded
Module 2. Soil Chemistry and soil Biology how it impacts on healthy soils. The importance of cation exchange capacity its building process. Soil chemical corrective measures. An overview of soil life and the representation in healthy soil.
Module 3.The inter connectivity between the soil life and the plant life through the root rhizosphere. The signaling systems that maintain this relationship. The symbiotic carbon and nutrient trade between the two systems.
Module 4. The importance of Mycorrhizae as soil fungus complex within a healthy soil. How it functions and the symbiotic process as well as the biology of this fungus complex described. The decomposition of organic matter describing the different forms and functions of soil organic matter.
Module 5. The different air nitrogen to soil binding systems. The Rhizobium, free air and Frankia systems. Other important soil microbial tasks.
Module 6. Practices that cause soil degradation and the progressive stadia of development. How this degradation takes place.
Module 7. Soil Health Analyses. The most relevant analyses available with particular emphasis on the Solvita soil respiration and Haney Soil Health Tool (SHT) and the practical and valuable information that can be achieved from these analyses. Choosing the tests best suited for your particular situation.
Module 8. Conservation Agriculture. The basic concepts and how to go about starting with this all important practice.
Module 9. Cover crops. The importance, what can be achieved with them. Cover crop selection and the periodic table of cover crops. This power point presentation is followed by two videos prepared by the NRCS in the USA illustrating their importance and what can be achieved.
Video 1. Building healthy soils.
Video 2. The Science of healthy soils.
Module 10. Biochar and other organic soil amendments. The basics regarding characteristics. What you need to know about the specification.
Price list for our test:
- SOLVITA 24hour CO2 BURST test- R 300.00
- The complete soil health tool (Haney Analysis) inclusive of the SOLVITA test – R 785.00
- SLAN test- R 285.00
- Mycorrhizae test- R 100.00
- Workshop prices on application